Saturday, October 1, 2011

Rock 'n' Roll Mole by Carolyn Crimi



"Mole had a rock-and-roll soul....He wore a leather jacket (even in summer) and shades (even at night). And he could strut just like his idol, Mick Badger."

Mole has a great talent but only his friend, Pig, has heard him play. But Pig has something up his sleeve, a talent show, to bring his friend Mole to the stage to rock. Despite his great talent, the thought of performing in front of others made Mole, "...shake in his shades." As the talent show day comes closer and closer, Mole decides he just can't go through with his performance but agrees to help his friend continue to prepare. The night of the show Pig is frantic when he discovers his ipod is broken and Mole must decide if he can overcome his own fear, and help his friend Pig. Super cute and simple enough for younger children to understand.

Text: 5 Buckeye leaves - Great message for youngsters! AND adults will love the subtle humor - Mick Badger! Ha! Goose Springsteen! Ha Ha!!
Illustrations: 5 Buckeye leaves - so cute! I LOVE Lynn Munsinger's illustrations - super cute animals!

Note: Only thing I did not like about this book....ugh...."I'm not going to do Pig's stupid show." I know, I know, kids say "stupid" (dumb, etc...far worse) but I really do not want my 3 1/2 year old hearing it in books and from ME! So I do substitute "silly". Need to think about what I would/will do with classes at school. Depends on grade level. This being said, having read books such as Shiloh with older kids, with far worse in language, I always explain to my kids why the word choice was made...but never make THEM say it if they are not comfortable. I just want to protect my little boy a little longer....oh and I also won't let him say the word BORED so..... :)

No comments: